Friday, October 19, 2012

driving without a license

When I was 17 on my L plates I finished work waiting for a friend to finish.  My friend told me to wait in his car, his shift ended if half an hour.  Gives me the keys and I wait in his car.  Waiting waiting.  I get bored and decide I'll take the car for a spin around the block, take a couple of back streets.  Off I go driving around doing a fine job.  I'd been driving since I was 14.  My dad taught me because he believed it was important for me to know.  In case something ever happened to him and I needed to take him to the hospital.  I stop at a T intersection putting my indicator on to turn left, look behind me and see I have a police car on my tail.  Kinda shit bricks because I'm so little they're bound to know I'm not old enough to drive.  I've no P plates on my car to say I'm old enough to drive while still looking young.  I keep driving and they tail me for a couple 100 meters but in the end they turn off in a different direction.  I hightail it back to my work car park only to find the car park my friends car was parked in is now taken.  He'll know I took his car for a drive now that his car is moved.  Friend comes out sees the car is moved, asks me if I drove his car, I confess and offer him petrol money.  He declines and is fine with me driving his car.  Tells me a story about another friend who drove his car once and crashed it on her first drive.  Least I returned his car in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment