Tuesday, July 16, 2013

rough neighbourhood

the pines is a tough place to live. it's where the bogans live. the doll bludgers. the single mums. drugos. tough rough kids living tough rough lives.

at 13 i got sent up the street at about 6:30 at night to get fish and chips for tea. as i'm walking i see a group of girls on the other side of the street. i'm nervous because i know what people are like around here. they're on the other side of the street so i think i'm ok. then they cross over and walk towards me.

i'm thinking uh oh here we go. when they get closer i can tell they're going to start trouble so i back up against a high fence the way dad taught me. stops me getting surrounded and then i can't watch my back.

there's about 6 girls lead by a girl i know is my neighbour though i don't know if she knows who i am. they push and shove me and start saying things like 'i heard you called me a bitch'. i didn't and they know it. it's just a way to pick a fight. i stand my ground, head high, not biting back. waiting to see what they do. hoping they don't take my money.

one girl takes a swing at me punching me in the face. the punch is dodgy, pathetic. doesn't hurt. i barely react. the girls think she's hit me hard and i'm a hard ass for not flinching. they decide i'm no fun because i'm not cowering or crying or acting scared. they tell me not to call them anything again and walk off.

my heart was pounding and my knees felt weak but i showed no fear. i was thankful they didn't take my money because i was worried i would have to go back home and tell what happened. i get the chips and walk back in later like nothing happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment